(Through Rose-Coloured Glasses)
David Gilmour is a U of T professor facing allegations of sexism and homophobia, after he told Hazlitt magazine that he doesn’t teach women or Chinese writers. He only teaches books by “serious heterosexual guys.”
Here are his Top Ten Reasons:
- When I was given this job, I said that I would only teach the people that I truly, truly love. Unfortunately, none those happen to be Chinese, or women.
- What I teach are guys, serious heterosexual guys.
- Real men don’t read chick-lit
- Mo Yan (莫言)? Wait till I finished my Rosetta Stones tapes
- When I was given this job, I thought I was hired to lead a book club
- 有教無類, as long as they are not Chinese, nor Women
- Next on the hiring list : Doug Ford1
- I only teach books that I wrote
- Want unbiased lectures? Go, down the hall
- I don’t have a sexist or racist bone in my body, only in my teaching
1 Councillor Doug Ford has fired back at world-renowned author Margaret Atwood for her criticism of suggested library cuts, telling reporters: “I don’t even know her. If she walked by me, I wouldn’t have a clue who she is.”